Welcome to cooking with five brothers one sister.
If you have enjoyed your visit please leave a comment.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

pita bread

In my new bread making life I have borrowed lots of books from the library.

Lots of interesting recipes, hints and ideas, I have been taking lots of notes.
One bread that I have been wanting to try was pita bread.
I tried this yesterday following the recipe and made it again today swapping half the bakers flour for wholemeal.
I think they turned out even better today and they are the kids new favourite bread.
They are quicker to make than normal bread but a little more hands on work is required.
Here is the recipe- I doubled the original recipe for 6-8 so I can make 16 which is enough to feed my crowd.




Pita bread
6 C flour (3 bakers, 3 wholemeal)
3t salt
2 t sugar
2 t yeast
2 T olive oil
400ml water (500-600ml if you use wholemeal flour)
Mix all ingredients in Kitchen Aid with dough hook (you can do this by hand)
Mix on 2 for 5 minutes (knead for 10 by hand)
Leave covered to rise until doubled 1-2 hrs
Knock back with couple turns on Kitchen Aid (or by hand )
Put onto floured bench and divide into 16 pieces
Roll into balls cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for 10 minutes

 Roll with rolling pin flat into round or oval shape.
Cover with tea towel and leave for 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 230C with baking sheet in oven

 Put 3-4 breads in at a time for 4 minutes turn oven and cook for 2 more
Put onto wire rack to cool.
This is how they looked cut in half,
 and filled with salad

 When my big boys were little I used to buy these and fill then with peanut butter, banana, sultanas, apple, carrot and coconut, they loved them - I gave some to my little ones today and they loved them too.
Here is The Girl making her lunch.

Shared at:

sunday-showcase

7 comments:

  1. Hi Deanne. What a fantastic recipe - thanks for sharing. I really would like to try these. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase party! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will definitely be giving these a try...thank you so much for the great recipe! Hope you have a wonderful day! Be sure to visit my blog for a great giveaway!

    Sarah
    ***Visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and new linking party!***
    http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I a going to bookmark these! I love pita bread! Thanks and thanks for the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! I've never made pita bread before but you make me think I might like to give it a go. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY, this looks so good. I love pita bread, and I can practically smell them coming out of the oven. Come link this up to my weekly party **Amaze me AUgust** I love a great recipe, and love to cook myself!!! Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Deanne, I didn't even know this was a possiblity!!! What a cool idea! I will be bookmarking this for the future :D

    ReplyDelete