Welcome to cooking with five brothers one sister.
If you have enjoyed your visit please leave a comment.

Monday, February 28, 2011

gluten free dairy free sponge cake

This sponge cake turned out beautifully, I have been making sponges for a while now- well since I got my kitchen aid and except for once when I didn't whip my eggwhite for long enough before adding the sugar they have all worked out really well.
In this recipe I combined the ingredients from the 4 ingredients gluten free cookbook with the method from my tried and true sponge.

Gluten Free Sponge

4 eggs separated at room temperature
3/4 c sugar
1C gluten free self raising flour
dash vanilla essence

Their method:
Preheat oven 200C. 
Beat egg whites until nice and stiff. 
In a separate bowl beat egg yolks, gradually add sugar and vanilla until pale yellow in colour. 
Spoon egg whites into egg yolk and fold together. 
Add flour and fold in with a whisk (helps keep mixture aerated). 
Pour into a lined 22cm tin  and bake for 30 minutes.

My method:
Preheat oven to 200C. 
Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add sugar beating each time until sugar is dissolved.
Add yolks one at a time and mix well add vanilla.
Slowly add flour, either by hand or on mixer very slow, using whisk attachment.
Pour into lined tin and bake for 30 minutes.

It came out beautifully light and fluffy. I topped it with icing made from berry juice and icing sugar and topped it with some more berries and a sprinkle of icing sugar. 
If you are not dairy free you can top it with jam and whipped cream.
I really like passionfuit icing but didn't have any passionfruit on hand that day so used the berries instead.

2 comments:

  1. Nice website! Greetings from Glory Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great recipe, I use it all the time to make sponge for trifle. Your method is better than theirs. I also made a chocolate version by adding cocoa. It was great with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete