Welcome to cooking with five brothers one sister.
If you have enjoyed your visit please leave a comment.

Monday, August 24, 2009

easy sponge


When I got my stand mixer I was determined to master a sponge cake.
I searched through cook books and the internet and came up with several recipes to try.
This was the first one I tried as it was simple and easy, didn't have fifty different ingredients and it worked well. I have used it since.
I did try a different recipe not long ago but while I really liked the texture the rest of the family did not. So I will stick with this recipe for the time being.

Sponge Cake:
Ingredients:
4 eggs, separated
1 C sugar
1 C SR flour
1/2 C warm milk

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Beat egg whites until very stiff, slowly add sugar while still beating, then add yolks, and lastly add warm milk
3. fold in flour gently and pour into 2 lined sandwich tins and cook in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.
4. Cool and serve at room temperature.

To serve: I usually fill with jam, lemon butter (as in the picture) or passionfruit butter and Vienna cream (whipped cream with icing sugar and vanilla added). Place other half on top and dust with icing sugar or if you use passionfruit butter you may like to ice this with passionfruit icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment