Welcome to cooking with five brothers one sister.
If you have enjoyed your visit please leave a comment.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

peru

Last week we studied Peru.
Our meal was a dish from Peru called Tacu Tacu which is traditionally a working man's lunch dish made from leftovers and originated with African Slaves.


It consisted on a rice and bean patty, a thin sheet of steak, Fried Plantain (I used bananas - as per recipe) and a fried egg on top.
The rice and bean patty was too hot even though I had used half the amount of chilli.
The fried bananas were good.
VCH thought the dish was a bit dry- I would probably agree with him.

We also had a frozen lime drink- very refreshing in this hot weather.
I would definitely make this again.

Dessert was a caramel meringue parfait.
The caramel was made by boiling a tin of condensed milk for a couple of hours. (it tasted exactly the same as caramel top'n'fill) and the meringue was made by boiling port and sugar together and then adding to whipped egg whites.
You put the caramel into parfait glasses and then pipe the meringue on top, chill.
Sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving.
These were extremely rich.

There was heaps of meringue mixture left over so I piped it onto a tray (I am not one for piping much) and cooked it as for cooking meringues and we ate them at the same time as the dessert.
I think the kids liked them best of all.
I also found a nice salad recipe with corn in it but I didn't think we would be able to fit it in, but I would like to make it some other time.
It is interesting trying different things from other countries.
Some are hits and others not but I am glad that the children are always keen to try new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment