This is another thing I make when I can get cheap tomatoes. We use it on and in many things it is very versatile. It is lovely on Jatz or other savoury crackers with a thin slice of cheese for morning tea, or with cold meat on sandwiches or with steak or lamb from the barbie.
2 cups sugar
2 ½ C vinegar
1 T flour
1 T curry powder
1 T dry mustard
1 T salt
1. Cut up tomatoes and pour off 3/4 C of juice.(place in a colander over a bowl and let juice drip into it, you may need to shake or press a little, this does take a little time- see picture above)
2. Cut up onions finely (food processor)
3. Put in a saucepan with tomatoes, sugar, and vinegar.
4. Boil slowly until thickens (this takes about 3/4-1hr)
5. Blend flour, curry powder, cayenne, mustard, and salt with tomato juice.
6. Add to saucepan and stir until boiling
7. Cook gently for 3 minutes.
8. Bottle in warm jars and seal when cool.